Re: [FW1] How does FW-1 count internal hosts?

Hi,

We have had the same problem here, but on NT (FW1 4.1 SP2).  I found that the external IP addresses were caused by some of the multihomed NT servers having IP forwarding on.  The IPs from the second network were showing up as licensed hosts on the first network.  I also found that the IP from the NIC in the second network would show up as a licensed host under FW1.  For example, if the first NIC, which is in same network as the FW1 box, had an IP of 192.168.1.5, and the second NIC, in the corporate network, had an IP of 192.168.255.5, both IPs would show up as licensed hosts.  A real pain if you have a limited license, and all of a sudden you have each machine counting as two licenses.

Looks like any broadcast packets from the multihomed boxes were showing up in both networks.

If anyone has any idea of how to fix it...

...d

David Davenport, CNE, CCSA
Network Administrator
Milliman & Robertson Inc.