Re: [FW1] Hardware??

I know this has been covered about a million times here...

It's and older version of FreeBSD, with all non-essential code torn out.
Ipsilon re-wrote all the routing code in it to support the additional
protocols (IPRG, OSPF, BGP, etc.).

NT?  Not even close...

Yes.  There is a lagtime between when Checkpoint releases a patch/update/new
version  I feel it is an acceptable trade-off when you consider what you are
getting:

- An Intel box that performs as well as (or outperforms) a big multi-cpu
Unix box
- a pre-hardened OS so you don't have to fool with that step, and always
wonder if (what) you forgot to do
- packaged service packs that have been tested at Nokia before being
released (how many times did I see "NT's SP6 blew up my firewall!!!"?)
- Tulip chip based 4-port 10/100 Ethernet NIC's (they rock)
- an OS who's sole purpose is to be a firewall, so it's optimized for packet
forwarding (thus the high speeds)
- a rock solid box... (we did tests at one site doing everything from
turning down the voltage, running drills and hand-held HAM radios around it,
banging on it [literally] and we couldn't kill it under what we considered
would be reasonable conditions in a data-center.. we had to turn the voltage
WAY DOWN before it rebooted, but none of the other stuff seemed to affect
it).

Need I say more??