RE: [FW1] Sharing the Printer Behind a Firewall

Hi,
I would suspect using LPR/LPD would be your best bet.
You will need TCP printing services on an internal NT server.(probably
require a reboot)
An IP address for the jetdirect card in the LP 6P
When you define the printer on the server and select a port , choose add
port/lpr port type in the IP address or the printer and for the queue I put
the hostname (any name will do) I use the IP address rather then the FQDN in
case of DNS outages

I am not that familiar with the ports the printing system uses.
I think it uses 515/TCP

The way I would do it is to set a rule up:

internal server printer any any log

and check the log for the way it behaves and change the rule to suit.

actually.... hang on...ah here we go..

checkout
http://securepoint.com/fw1/
and search on the keyword printing

I just turned this up:

I did:
Source          Dest           Service       Action
ipaddress    printer/        tcp/exec    Accept
                        ipaddress  (port 512)

Nigel.

>>> "Andreas Gotthardsson" <[email protected]> 17/11/98

Does anyone know how to open firewall-1 for LPR (Line Printing
Utility)
Thanks
/Andreas

Check the rest of the posts out at the archive

cheers
deanc