[FW1] Very much a newbie question, FW-1 and Bay ARN

Ok I am a newbie to FW-1. I have a Bay ARN Router and have the FW-1 option
enabled. I can load policies to the router no problem. However they only
work on the outbound connection. If I load a policy that states drop all,
and I test from the outside I have no problem getting in to my network. If I
try to get out to the Internet from my local net, all packets are getting
dropped as I expected. Like I said before I do not have much experience with
FW-1. Currently the router is configured with two interfaces, my eth0 and my
serial connection (ft0). The eth0 is my internal interface, and the FT0
connection is my external. I find this very strange as I figured with a
total global packet drop that no packets should be allowed to cross the
router at all. Any one have any experience with this particular setup?
Thanks!