RE: [FW1] Nokia question

This is obviously from someone who is just repeating what he has heard on
the subject.  The Nokia IPSO started life ad FreeBSD that much is true.
About 5 years ago while it was still Ipsolon though/  since then the extra
crap and fluff has beed removed to produce one of the most streamlined OS's
I have ever seen.  As far as being vulnerable to exploits, we run the OS's
through a very tough testing each time there is new release and have yet to
find it vulnerable to exploits.  The fact that you cannot even write to the
/etc with actually being physically attached kind of reinterates that.  The
only issue that I have is that the Voyager interface is managed on HTTP.
But even that has been handled as far back as 3.1 (current is 3.3).  The
latest version even supports HTTPS to the interface and can generate an CA
request so you can get a proper CA for the box.

The "Cisco'ish" interface cannot be further from the truth.  The command
line interface is Unix plain and simple.  No anything else.  You are correct
however, that it does and can run IGRP and BGP4 and it is licensed from
Cisco.  Nokia recognizes, as the rest of the world, that Cisco is the leader
in IGRP and BGP4 communications.

just my opinions

Tim Cullen
CCSA, CCSE