From: Rob Michayluk [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 11:41 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: [FW1] Internal Hosts Issue

Hello all,

I was wondering if I couldn't borrow the expertise of this group for a
problem I am experiencing.

I have Firewall-1 4.1 SP3 installed on an NT 4.0 SP6a box. Since I installed
SP3, I have been receiving
a notification that I have exceeded my license for internal hosts. When I
check the event viewer logs to
see which IP addresses have been determined as breaking the license, the
miscreant addresses are external to
my network, but some of them are the valid addresses of hosts that are being
NATed.

I went to Phonboy to see what I should do and while I was running through
the suggestions I noticed that
(after having changed all the rules logging to long) most of the addresses
that I got from Event Viewer do
not show up in the log viewer, except for those that were the valid
addresses of hosts being NATed.

I do have a set of proxy servers that are another route into the network, so
that may explain why I am seeing
some of the addresses, but I am still at a loss to explain why Firewall-1 is
counting a host as internal that I do
not see an entry for in a log file.

If you need more information, please let me know and I'll be happy to
provide it. I'm stumped.

Rob Michayluk
Computing Network Services
ACD Systems Ltd.