Re: [FW1] Can I create a dynamic BLOCK based on "sensor IP's"

You can setup a HONEYPOT server and then just turn on CPMAD.
CPMAD will actively block hosts that it detects are hostile, and this is part of
FW-1, however it is somewhat simplistic at best.

This brings us to a question I have not heard a lot of answers or opinions on.
Everyone is producing all these tools for controlling access to information, detecting
unauthorized access or malicious activity, and even the grey hat tools (which
everyone here should get familiar with...). However, it doesn't seem like there is a lot
of information on best practices for RESPONSE to intrusion attempts etc.

Do you take the approach of just quietly monitoring your systems and only on
severe breach contact authorities and abuse depts, or do you act quickly on all
cases? Do you have a layered approach where you consider some things not worth
reporting and others as worthy of reporting? Do you report people for simply nmap
scanning your network?

I would be curious to hear what people here have to say, but it would probably be best
that you don't post your replies along with info that would identify which company you
work for...since this list is archived and public....heh

My feeling is that if you do not excercise your response systems often enough you
might become complacent and trust your basic monitoring tools too much.

I think it's best to setup some honeypots and put them up front and in the middle.
Watch them closely, but do not act too quickly. Give them a rope to hang themselves
with. If you automatically block their source address when they perform a scan, it will
become very apparent to them that they have a firewall monitoring their actions.