RE: [FW1] FW-1 to PIX VPN

A lot of folks have asked about this scenario over the last several months.
We finally got it to work in production under the following conditions and
are attempting to reproduce it in our lab.  Start with the white papers
available from Check Point and Cisco.  Hope this helps.

Cisco PIX: PIX 515, OS ver 5.2
Check Point: Nokia 330, IPSO 3.2.1, VPN-1 v4.1 SP1
Encryption:  DES, MD5, Pre-shared secrets, Aggressive mode, supports subnets
Set the PIX so that it knows the Check Point encryption domain is ALL
subnets on all segments of the Check Point firewall.  Set the Check Point so
that it knows the Cisco encryption domain is only the specific hosts/subnets
you need included on the PIX side.  (Result:  Too big of an encryption
domain on one side, but just right on the other.)
NAT occurs before encyption.  Use manual NAT rules at the top of the
rulebase to ensure traffic between the two encryption domains is NOT being
NATed in any fashion.
Don't just test using ping - use other protocols (FTP, command-line SMTP,
etc.).

Daniel R. Mengel, MCSE, CCSE
Lead Technologist - Data Security
Info Systems, Inc. - www.infosysinc.com
Baltimore/Washington - Dover - Philadelphia - Wilmington