RE: [FW1] Monitoring with MRTG

> Anyway, I am really interested in knowing the performance of several
> firewalls (Sun boxes), but I don't know if it is possible to use MRTG to
> know the CPU utilization and throughput. I know the traffic (bits per

	yes, that's possible. For example: to monitor the CPU utilization
with mrtg I use a script, which is converting the output of "uptime" to
input for mrtg.

	The script is very simple:

	# > cat uptime2mrtg.pl

	#!/usr/local/bin/perl
	while (<STDIN>)
	{
	 if (/^.*up\s+(.+),\s+\d+\suser.*load
averages?:[\s\t]+([\d\.]+),[\s\t]+(
	[\d\.]+),[\s\t]+[\d\.]+/)
	  {
	   printf("%d\n", $2 * 100);
	   printf("%d\n", $3 * 100);
	   print "$1\n";
	 }
	}

	Now, you must use these output as input in mrtg.

	in the mrtg.conf use the following line:

	Target[hostname]: `uptime | uptime2mrtg.pl`

	It works fine and you can monitor a lot of counters with these
method.

	Micha