Re: [FW1] Freeware/shareware scanner to do an analysis against myFW-1

Snort, shadow, and the like are IDS systems (intrusion detection).
They will do nothing to scan a firewall to determine what ports
are open and what vulnerabilities exist, but they will tell you if
someone *else* is looking for vulnerabilities.

nmap for NT is listed at http://www.eeye.com/html/Databases/Software/nmapnt.html.
I haven't used it, so can't vouch for it, but nmap itself seems to
be the choice for many who want a no-nonsense scanner.

Steve

James Edwards wrote:

> I use Shadow.  I tried snort but couldn't get it to compile so stuck with
> Shadow.  Here is the link
>
> http://www.nswc.navy.mil/ISSEC/CID/
>
> It took a lot of configurations work to make this functional.  Get your PERL
> book out.
>
> Jim Edwards
> Systems Manager
> Texas Secretary of State

Steven Lee, CISSPSenior Network Security EngineerFAX
AVCOM Technologies, IncPager
4636 E Marginal Way S, Ste B-100   http://www.avcom.com
Seattle, WA 98134-2383             mailto:[email protected]