From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
Langa Kentane
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 8:53 AM
To: Firewall-1 Mailing List (E-mail)
Cc: Jim Morrisby
Subject: [FW1] stateful firewalling and clustering.

Greetings gurus.

I have now discovered something else in connectio with a problem I was
having.  Yesterday I realised that some machine from our ISP [machine A] was
sending us packets that were getting droped by the firewall originating from
port 80 and going to ports ranging from 34000 to 37.  At first I thought
it was a port scan being done on the firewall.  Then I thought it was
time-out backward connections being blocked so I increased the UDP time out.
The packets were going to our mail server and direct to the firewall.

Now the mail server has both a legal and illegal address [using static
source/dest NAT].  After digging thru the log files some more, I realised
that our mail server was doing DNS queries to machine B.  The secondary DNS
server for the our mail server is machine B.

Turns out that our ISP has a DNS server cluster.  Machine B being the
virtual/primary [whatever] address for the DNS cluster.  Now what happens is
that when our mail server does a DNS query to machine B, machine A answers
the query and because machine A does not have a valid connection in the
state table, the packets are being dropped.

Now, how do I get around this problem??  Is it possible to fix this??