RE: [FW1] Opinion: Blocking hotmail, etc?

Hi,

The best practise for controlling staff use of email services is to
implement behavioural policies. You've spelled out the policy on using
company resources and company time for company business. A few well-timed
visits by management to desks of people who FW-1 reports as having more
Hotmail sessions than others will change behaviour better than any other
tactic. It requires less effort.

People using Hotmail establish a browsing pattern. Either the client is
open all the time or it's open at predictable time slots. Your logs will
tell you when to visit the employee for a chat.

You'll notice Hotmail sends a block of scans to various ports on your
gateway so the banner ad hydrants can blast your router with pre-cached
graphics on the next visit to Hotmail. In my experience, I get many more
Hotmail-domain port scans than actual Hotmail sessions.

regards from Ireland,
Bernie Goldbach
www.topgold.com