From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, 14 January 2001 5:07 PM
To: Ivan Fox; fw-wiz; fw-1-mailinglist (e-mail)
Subject: RE: [FW1] Best Practice?!

[snip]

necessary. I guess it depends on your definition of "DMZ". If you mean
a network segment that is completely exposed to internet without any
rules etc, then I would suggest not running ANY servers there. Lots of
these SOHO "firewalls" have no rule base and DMZ is just wide open.

If DMZ means a network segment that has "some" access to the internet
and rules defining service availability, then you might be able to
run a bastion host that actually does NLTM authentication to your domain
but you should be extremely carefull how this server is setup and be
very carefull to ensure that if/when it gets compromised it is detected
quickly and there should be a means to quickly restore it to it's proper
state. This means running software like tripwire/intact, rembo, etc etc.

If DMZ means a network segment that is secured but has no access to the
internet and is only used for internal security purposes, then allowing
it to be a member server is less of an issue.

I don't know if I like the term DMZ. I prefer to call them "legs" and
they may be seperate network segments/vlans with rules defining their
allowed traffic, authentication etc. You might have 3 legs, 5 legs or
more depending on what your situation is..
[snip]