Re: [FW1] FW comparison

In general IBM Firewall does not use stateful
inspection so you need to create rules for both the
request and the response. It is essentially a packet
filter with a decent GUI which may explain the heavy
emphasis on using it's proxy/SOCKS features. It checks
(and could log) every single packet against the rule
base. I am unsure of it's ability to support some of
the newer services (ie RTSP, NetMeeting) and they only
added passive FTP support in June or July of 2000.

On the plus side they harden the OS by default, have a
file system integrity tool and do some good stuff with
SMTP which CheckPoint doesn't.

FWIW we would not consider using IBM Firewall to
protect us from the Internet.