RE: [FW1] Outlook Web Access - Best pracice with FW-1

I'm currently debating the same setup.

What I've noted so far is that:

- The OWA server is in the DMZ, while the Exchange server should stay on the
LAN.
- There's a registry edit in Exchsv 5.5 that lets you specify the range of
random ports that it will connect to the OWA server with (or moreover, allow
incoming SMTP).
- Open those ports up between the OWA DMZ and the LAN, and only allow
traffic from a static-NATted address given to the OWA server to the address
of the Exchange server on the lan. I use 172.16.x.x here, so the address
would be the "real" address of my OWA server -> the NAT address of the OWA
server -> the 172.16.x.x address of the exchange server.

If OWA is on a networked subnet, wouldn't it have to sit on the LAN? In
which case you'd be allowing port 80 directly in, right?

My .2c...

- C