RE: [FW1] Do these solutions post unacceptable security risk?

Any time you allow an outsider full control of one of your internal machines
it's a security risk. And the worst part is that you don't really know who
is on the other end, whether they're dangerously curious, about to quit
their job and feel like leaving a little present behind, or take no measures
to protect your logon credentials (to name just a few of the risks).

Having said that, sometimes you simply have no choice. What we've done in
these situations is to set up access via Terminal Services or Citrix and
manually enable the rules at the request of the vendor, and only for the
duration that they actually need access to the box. In other words, we try
to limit the window of vulnerability to the shortest time span possible. The
other thing we do is force the vendor to use two-factor authentication, like
SecurID. That way there's a tighter audit trail of who's doing what and less
chance the vendor can claim innocence if something does go wrong.

The sad part of all this is that no matter how good your security might be,
your vendor has just become the weakest link in the chain, if for no other
reason than your inability to assess and control their environment.

Geoff