From: Carlo Malandrini [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Mail Proxy. Anyone can help me?

Hi everybody,
I am a rookie in security solution deployment so I hope that someone can
help
me. My company is planning to install Check Point FW-1 as corporate firewall

to protect its business from the bad guys of the Internet and we already
have
MS Exchange Server 5.5 as mail sistem. We plan to leave the mailserver in
the
internal network, but we are just wondering if it is a safe behavior to
allow
external mail servers to connect to ours directly through the firewall or if

it better to install a mail proxy (maybe set up in a dmz) with the task of
accepting inbound mail connection. In the latter case, this mail proxy
should
be skilled enough to detect some evil behavior (spamming, relaying, bad mail

protocol systax and so on).

Thanks in advance

Carlo Malandrini