Re: [FW1] Re: Load Ballanced HA?

Carric Dooley
Senior Consultant
COM2:Interactive Media

"But this one goes to eleven."
- -- Nigel Tufnel

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Mark Squire wrote:
>
> > Lets say I have two Nokia boxes and I want to:
> > 1. Have them running in active-active-standby HA.
>
> Nokia VRRP does not allow active-active only active-passive.

Not entirely accurate.  While you cannot load balance with VRRP, you can
"load share" by setting up two virtual routers on eachs side (one where
firewall A is primary and firewall B is secondary, and the other where
firewall B is primeary with firewall A as backup, and then split your
network into two halves each using one of the VIP's for it's gateway.

> > 2. VPN needs to be able to fail over.
>
> With FW-1 4.1 this should work.
>

> > 3. SecuRemote needs to be able to fail over.
>
> Secureremote connects to the management station not the firewall. So you
> may need two.

I have a document explaining how to setup redundant mgt consoles with NT,
but it is extremely complex, and is more sort of a jury-rigged
configuration. It involves several scripts that copy stuff from your
primary to your backup console.  While I'm sure it works, and is quite
ingenious, checkpoint does not provide and packaged solution to accomplish
this.