RE: [FW1] dnsinfo

Idan,

be VERY careful with the placement of spaces etc. Also, what is the client
that you are using? Win 9x or later? There is a different LMData portion
required for win9x clients (that is undocumented). If any part of the file
is wrong, then you will not be able to get it working. Please review the
attached except from my earlier post which I've included again so that
others out there still asking the same question can find an answer.

PS to everyone out there... there are a number of searchable and browseable
archives of this mailing list. It's a good place to start *before* posting
the same questions again and again. A couple of these are:
Daniel Kim's 	- http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/fw1.html
(browseable)
			- http://search.securepoint.com/
TSG's			- http://www.shmoo.com/mail/fw1/

Enjoy !
Cheers
Greg

---[snip]---
The use of :domain label in the dnsinfo.C file is only for the Windows NT
clients.

To quote the Public Configuration Document

"To solve the issue of browsing with a Win98 client, we previously had to
manually add an LMHOSTS entry to the clients:
10.10.1.10 ?PDC-KIRK      \0x1b? #PRE

This entry is only required to allow Win98 clients to browse in Network
Neighborhood; however, they can
still authenticate and browse by Universal Naming Convention (UNC) when it
is not used. WinNT
clients do not require this entry.

This entry in the LMHOSTS file is required for Win98 clients to locate the
domain master browser for retrieval of a resource list ? THIS IS ALWAYS THE
PDC. The name must be padded out to 15 characters with spaces and contained
in double-quotes as shown above. Appended to the padded name is a hex
character \0x1b that notifies our client this name is a domain master
browser. Be sure to add the #PRE tag to store this in the NetBIOS name cache
or this will not work. "

But if you have SP2 and configure it as per my earlier email. You dont have
to manually configure each win 98/95 workstation as it will be done whenever
the topology is updated.

So the Anatomy of the dnsinfo.C file for LMHOSTS is as follows:
>(
 ^Required at the top of the file.
>	:LMdata (
	^Section Label (note the lowercase 'd' and the whitespace after the label).
>		: (
		^Required LMHOSTS entry (note the whitespace after the colon)
>			:ipaddr (10.0.0.1)
			^IP address of the PDC (note the whitespace)
>			:name (MERLIN)
			^Name of the PDC
>			:domain (ROUNDTABLE) (note the whitespace)
			^Name of the Domain that this is the PDC for (note the whitespace)
>		)
		^Required end of the definition for this LMHOSTS entry
>		: (
		^Required for Win95/98 clients ( note the whitespace after the colon)
>			:ipaddr (10.0.0.1)
			^IP Address of the PDC (note the whitespace)
>			:name (MERLIN)
			^Name of the PDC (note the whitespace)
>		)
		^Required end of the definition for this LMHOSTS entry for Win95/98
clients
>	)
	^Required - ends the LMdata section
>)