[FW1] Erratic Performance on NT

We are witnessing erratic performance from our FW-1 system. Before we give
up completely on this platform, can I ask if any of you have suffered from
(and hopefully corrected) the following.

We are currently running FW1 v4.0 build 4055, on NT4/SP5, but the conditions
we notice have been with us through various builds of FW1 since v3 and
various NT service packs. Our firewall hardware is configured with three
interfaces. We use NAT for some of our internal hosts, and also those in our
DMZ. We also have three VPN's set up to our sister companies. These are
using FWZ encryption. We do no content checking or SMTP relay checking.
Those functions are carried out elsewhere.

>From a reboot, the firewall will perform very well with transfer rates
between 50KB/s and 60KB/s reported by Internet Explorer for downloads. The
system will perform like this for anything between a few hours to a maximum
of about five or six days. At the end of that period, performance through
the firewall is excruciatingly slow, with transfer rates such as 300
bytes/sec typically reported by Internet Explorer.

Once the firewall gets into this state, only a reboot of the system will
resolve the problem. Stopping and starting the firewall does not solve the
problem. Interestingly, the firewall hardware (a 266Mhz Pentium II with
256MB RAM) remains equally responsive throughout. Only network throughput
seems to be affected. There are no consistent entries in either the FW1 or
NT logs to indicate a cause for this. We have a box outside of our firewall,
on our link to the Internet. When the firewall is performing poorly,
throughput from this host is as normal, so the link appears not to be at
fault.

Can anybody give me a hint as to how I can resolve this issue?

Regards,
Paul

Paul Hansson
Manager, IT
Tribon Solutions (UK) Limited
(name change 22nd of June 2000 from Kockums Computer Systems (UK) Limited)
Centre for Advanced Industry, Coble Dene, Royal Quays,
North Shields, Tyne & Wear NE29 6DE, UK
Tel:, Fax:Email: [email protected]
Web: www.tribon.com