RE: [FW1] Windows 2000

It's true you don't have a checkbox to enable IP forwarding in Windows
2000; you have to enable it in the registry :

  To enable TCP/IP forwarding:

  1. Use Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) to view the following registry key:

     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

  2. Modify the following registry value:

     Value Name: IPEnableRouter
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 1

  NOTE: A value of 1 enables TCP/IP forwarding for all network connections
  installed and used by this computer.

You need at least SP2 build 41719 under Win2K.

It's not necessary to enable RRAS, because this is for the more advanced
functions, like static or hiding NAT under Win2K, and you want the
Checkpoint-software taking care of this, not Win2K.

Haven't found a document yet on hardening Win2K , though ...

Philippe Verdonck
Sr System Engineer
Erudict  Antwerpen NV
Desguinlei 250
B-2018  Antwerp
Belgium

                    "Gino Guidi (SD)" <[email protected]>
                    Sent by:                                    To:     "'[email protected]'"
                    [email protected]        <[email protected]>
                    kpoint.com                                  cc:
                                                                Subject:     RE: [FW1] Windows 2000

                    31/01/01 16:42

Routing in Windows 2000 is much more complex than just  enabling IP
forwarding. I don't even think there is an IP forwarding checkbox.  In
order to get Windows 2000 to route you have to configure the machine as a
router using The Routing and Remote Access Service. The Management
Interface is  just another SNAP-IN that you can add to the Microsoft
Management  Console(MMC).  If you need any more help with the Windows 2000
routing  setup you can e-mail me directly.

Gino Pietro Guidi

Network Engineer

@The  Costar Group/COMPS

[email protected] Message-----