[FW1] quite ot -but i need help about security

Hi ALL:

this is quite ot but I know that a lot of you here knows a lot about
security.

just a while ago, the named program on one of our servers wasn't fxning
(all lookups failed in logs). when i did a ps -ef, i notice that root was
ftping to a certain site. I called my partner, and he said that he didn't
login. I also did a who, and indeed only my id showed.

i looked at all the logs and didn't see any trace of root.... my only proof
was the ps -ef output :-(

q: can anyone send me tips on how to track that mysterious "root" ?

Sorry again for this ot question.

Thanks,
-botp