RE: [FW1] 169.254.X.X ip addresses in state table

I'm with Glenn on this one, and mostly because I'm in that group of
employees that has to disable DHCP to do my job.  When I'm configuring a
batch of switches in-band, I'll pick an address scheme from anywhere, but
being human, chances are pretty good that it's often in the same general
range.

If you have a network analyzer, it's sometimes useful to 'sniff' the segment
you believe the host resides on, and check out his MAC.  Most sys-admins can
rule out some possibilities, simply by looking at the manufacturer  portion
(printer?  HP?  Sun?  Cisco?  3Com?); we tend to buy devices in batches, and
you can often recognize what batch this host probably came from , even if
you don't know specifically who it is.    Should it turn out to be a router,
don't assume anything - it could be natural or it could be a poorly executed
hack.  Check your config for sub-interfaces, virtual terminals, and do a
port span on everything if you've got the bandwidth (you can set up triggers
to catch that range with NAI's sniffer, if it's intermittant, and just grab
the headers if you're worried about overruning the buffer).

Alternatively, you could just initiate a rule based on that address range,
disallowing everything, and  wait for your phone to ring...