Re: [FW1] Transparent Proxy

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:27:53AM -0400, Eduardo Frias wrote:
> I have one question. I have Checkpoint Firewall-1 installed in a Linux
> Machine ( RedHat 6.2 ). What I want is to redirect all the web petitions
> that arrive to the firewall to another Linux machine running Squid so I
> can optimize my connection. I know that I can configure the browser to
> indicate them the proxy server but I do not want this, what I want is a
> redirector. Can I do this with Firewall-1? and if yes, where can I find
> documentation about it?

What about using an HTTP resource to redirect outgoing http connections
to the Squid proxy? However, HTTP Security Server is not very fast nor
flexible, I think it would be much better to configure the browsers to
use the proxy.

You could also try to setup a static NAT that would translate the
destination address of outgoing HTTP requests to the Squid's address,
but you'll have to deal with routing the translated packet to Squid and
setup Squid as a transparent proxy. Quite complicated I think.

All in all, setting the browsers to use a proxy is the way I would
choose. You can use javascript to setup all the browsers from a central
source.

Regards,

Hanus Adler