Re: [FW-1] Best IDS??

Setup one sensor outside firewall, set it to log verbosely but not to
page you.
This will provide forensic evidence that might prove usefull.

Setup another sensor inside your dmz OR on the inside leg of your
firewall.
Carefully setup rules for filtering of alerts on valid flows, and set
everything else to a variety of actions such as:
FW-1 OPSEC (block intruder, might be good idea on certain types of
activity like ftp, however OPSEC blocking can BITE you if the attacker
manages to spoof addresses for sites on the Inet you don't want
blocked...basically, you could DoS yourself from accessing even the root
name servers!)
SNMP Traps can work with product like NAI Distributed Sniffer which can
be configured to capture packets based on event. (nice to have the
decodes, trust me!)
Paging services, light up some alarms on network operations staff
monitoring pages??? etc etc.
This can all be accomplished with scripting.

With Snort, you can do a lot...especially if you are able to develop
your own perl scripts.
I think ISS RealSecure 6.0 is a much nicer product however and it IS
extensible, although there are some real braindead limitations in ISS
for filtering of events. (I have a laundry list of comments...)

FOR INSTANCE, ISS lets you filter by tcp,udp,icmp, with given src/dest
addresses etc etc...but you CAN'T define filters for specific PROTOCOLS
like ESP, GRE etc. When I talk to ISS support staff, they say use TCP
and set port to 50!!! NO NO NO!, this is not PORT 50, its "PROTOCOL" 50.
(silence is deafening)
This was a problem for me because I wanted to see whenever someone was
attempting connections with firewall that was from unauthorized subnets.
When you enable the policy event to log ESP/GRE connections you can't
filter the ones that you know are trivial/uninteresting. Instead your
logs get spammed.

Regardless, after having used both products I would make my
recommendation this way:
If this is for home, go with Snort.
If this is for work, go with ISS.

Regardless of which product you use, you can't just install the software
and then walkaway.
NIDS has to be constantly tuned and monitored just like a firewall.

Carl E. Mankinen
Southeast Regional Data Center - Systems/Network Engineer, CCSA CCSE
AT&T Broadband Advanced Services