[FW-1] FW-1 versus Hardware Firewall

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] FW-1 versus Hardware Firewall
  • From: "Perbix, Michael" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:43:38 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

I have been a happy customer of FW-1 for some time, we run it on NT and are upgrading to W2K and NG, here is my question...please do not flame me, I figure people here would be able to give me some info.

Recently, others in my department have looked at possibly replacing the Firewall with a hardware based firewall like Cisco PIX and have produced literature ranking several vendors and firewalls in ease of use, throughput etc...

In everyone's optinion, a W2K box with gig NICs, and an entirely switched network (all Cisco Gear) with at least 1 Gig fiber going to all closets.....will the NG product in this environment be okay, or should I look at a possible hardware solution...is there a Checkpoint product like that?

I have been very happy, but we are adding buildings to our network next year and increasing users by many fold....I want to make sure that our Fractional T-3 (6) traffic will not cause a problem.  The DMZ should be okay, however I will be moving some media servers in there shortly....

Any input?

     -Mike