[FW-1] two 4.1 questions

Hello,

Firewall Specs:
Twin Nokia ip440s (in vrrp mode) sp5a ipso, 3.4.1

We are using checkpoints VPN client, (secure remote) on a limited basis to connect to certain subnets within our network.  In the past we had to create a new network object, and add one for every subnet.  We are having limited success defining the entire network.  For example, I created a new network object(example IPs) 140.30.0.0, netmask of 255.255.0.0

Will that work as a catch all and permit access to all subnets from 140.30.0.0 to 140.30.254.254 ? Sorry I'm not the best with subnetting  :)

Also how beneficial would it be to learn PERL?  a majority of the scripts I run across are PERL based, and are bound to make my life a little easier....especially when it comes to sifting through FW1 logs.

Thanks