Re: [FW-1] Vijay - network objects

A good start would be to get essential checkpoint firewall-1 which is a good
intriduction and for many installations will probably be all you need.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Volker Tanger" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Vijay - network objects

Greetings!

Vijay Kumar wrote:

> I am new to checkpoint, and working of CheckPoint 2000 Firewall-1
currently.
> Can anyone tell me how to create network objects ?

Whoops - so you're missing even the very basics.

As I wrote before (here? another list?), managing a a firewall is like
slinging a gun: the machine will not care wether it was an empty can or
your own foot when you the trigger.

So I *urgently* recommend to familiarize yourself with the machine (CKP)
and the topic (FW) before even touching the system. Read the books,
visit a course, RTFM - just make sure you know what, why and how you
want to do before you start.

> Currently I need the Internal network to access the internet and also have
> some security set up fpr the firewall machine itself.
> Where can I fuind some sample configuration on Firewall-1 with SP6

With firewalls, there is no "standard" configuration if it is meant to
be safe. You'll need to transform the business needs (as well in
services and security) into the ruleset. And no two I know of are really
alike.

If you do not exactly know what you want/need, you already lost it all.
Even if it works (somehow) in the beginning, it will inevitably come
back after you.

Sorry to be so harsh, but otherwise you'll hit the ground even harder
(even if later).

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting